Give your liver a boost with this delicious braised chicken. Containing lemon juice, turmeric, onion, garlic and artichokes, all renowned for their liver boosting qualities, this is not only a delicious family meal but a big fat “thank you to your liver! Where possible, use organic ingredients to keep toxin levels as low as possible.
Nutritional value per serving (1/4 yield) with brown rice (one cup, uncooked, between 4 people):
Calories: 261.1 Carbohydrates: 26.7
Saturated Fat: 1.5g Protein: 7.6g
8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tsp turmeric
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 bay lead]
2 cups chicken broth
The zest and juice of 1 lemon
8 artichoke hearts (thawed frozen, jarred or fresh)
½ cup green pitted olives
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Dry the chicken and season it with the sea salt and pepper.
2. In a heavy pot, heat olive oild on a medium heat. Add chicken and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
3. Reduce the heat slightly and add the onion with a pinch of salt. Saute for about 5 minutes until golden. Add the garlic and sautƒ© for a further minute.
4. Add the spices and stir until the scents are released (about aminute).
5. Pour over ¼ cup of broth and stir well to loosen anything stuck to the pot. Continue to cook until the liquid is reduced by half.
6. Add the remaining 1 ¾ cups of broth along with the lemon zest and 2 tbsp of juice. Reduce the heat again and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the chicken, olives and artichokes and stir gently. Increase heat to medium high and simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
8. Taste, adding more lemon juice and seasoning to taste.
9. Serve with brown rice and garnished with cilantro.