Pasta is a great, versatile and easy part of any meal. It doesn’t have to be boring either. Get inventive, be inspired by the Mediterranean and pack your pasta with a rainbow of vegetables!
Serves: 6 medium, 4 large or 8 small servings
Nutritional value per medium serving (1/6 yield):
Calories: 256 Carbohydrates: 48.6
Saturated Fat: 0.3 Protein: 7.5g
300g wholegrain pasta twists
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves of garlic
½ red chili (or less, or more, depending on how hot you like it!)
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 cup broccoli florets
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 cup fresh spinach
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp marjoram
1 tsp herbs de Provence
½ cup black pitted olives
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add a teaspoon of salt and a splash of olive oil.
2. In a heavy pot, heat olive oil on a medium heat. Add the onion and soften.
3. Add garlic and chilli and soften for another minute or two. Stir in the broccoli and chopped peppers and continue to cook until the veggies start to soften.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs, stir well and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
5. Stir in the olives and spinach.
6. Serve with a large salad for extra veggie intake.
Make it your own
Mix and match vegetables, add capers or play around with the herbs. And remember, the greater the number of vegetables, the more full you will feel.
Let us know what you think on
twitter or facebook