Whether you are caring for a child with autism or a parent with Alzheimer’s – or even a grandparent raising grandchildren –  caregivers need all the support they can get to deal with the financial and emotional challenges that being a primary caregiver.

State-Level Resources:

Some states offer financial assistance programs for caregivers to relieve some of the expense in taking care of a sick or disabled relative. You may wish to contact a State Unit on Aging (SUA) to find out what programs a particular state has to offer.

Following is a list of  support services listed at the Answers.USA.gov site that many caregivers will find useful:

  • Kinship Care – A program designed to help support a child who resides outside of his or her own home, either temporarily or on a long-term basis, with relatives such as grandparents, aunt, or uncle.
  • State Social Service Agencies – State social/human service agencies can help with immediate needs for items such as food, clothing, healthcare, or emergency funds. If applicant is ineligible for benefits, these agencies may provide referrals to community organizations that might offer assistance.

Visit the site here: USA.gov: Caregiver Resources.